Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Late night bathroom trips

When I was younger (like from the time I was pottytrained until I was in about 5th grade and my bedroom moved upstairs) I had a nightly ritual. EVERY night (and I mean every night) I would wake up in my bed and (because I was scared of the dark) call for my dad. "Daaaadddddyyyyy! Daaaaaddddddyyyyyy!" Many nights my brother would just go get my dad (dad's a heavy sleeper) and then dad would walk me to the bathroom and then put me back to bed. I can remember this vividly. I never knew how much my dad must have LOVED this ritual until I became a parent of a pottytrained child.
Taylor now wakes up about 2-3 (sometimes more) nights a week and walks to our room (she says she's scared of "darkness" but at least she comes to me rather than screaming for me like I used to scream for my dad) and then she stands next to my bed holding her silky and babybear and whispers, "Mommy. Mommy. Mommy, I need to go pee." So I take her to pee and, if it's not after 6am, I take her back to her room. She usually wants to sleep in my bed but I tell her it's still dark so she can't. Don't know how that's going to work during the summer when it's light at like 5am!!
Anyway, thanks Dad for the nightly bathroom trips. Sorry I disrupted your sleep every night for so long! :)

No comments: